Monday, November 14, 2016

f*cked up beauty standards: LISTEN UP!










At the pink Elafonisi beach in Greece! <3 Here my bikini top was still whole.. one hour later the clasp broke in half haha (fail)..

Ik wil teruuuuuuug!! Het regent hier een beetje en alle sneeuw begint zacht te worden. Als het niet snel ophoudt dan wordt het een grote slush party. Er was iets van 50 cm sneeuw gevallen afgelopen twee weken dus je kunt je wel voorstellen, het wordt een gigantische derrie.

Maaar, dat hield mij niet tegen om eropuit te gaan. Ik had gister afgesproken met een fotograaf bij de studio voor een wat langere sessie dan afgelopen dinsdag want we waren nog niet helemaal klaar. Ook wilde ik graag wat digitals/polaroids hebben mocht dit hele gebeuren ooit nog op iets professioneels uitlopen. Polaroids zijn foto's van modellen in hun "pure" vorm zonder make-up en zonder een gekke outfit. Ik droeg een zwarte skinny jeans en een zwart hempje en ook al denk je dat het vast hele saaie foto's zijn geworden: helemaal niet waar! Ze zijn super gaaf geworden! Elke keer sta ik weer versteld van mezelf haha! Ik zal de foto's hier posten zodra ik ze toegestuurd krijg.

Oke, klein dingetje: Ik heb besloten een klein en voorzichtig gokje te wagen met het vinden van modellenwerk. IEEEH, SPANNOND. Iets wat ik denk ik heel leuk kan vinden aangezien ik mode te gek vind! Ik weet dat ik niet slecht op foto's sta en ik heb een duidelijke persoonlijkheid. Ik sta sterk in mijn schoenen maar ik denk dat ik wel gevoelig kan worden voor kritiek als ik constant hetzelfde te horen krijg en daar wil ik mezelf goed op voorbereiden.

We hebben echt absoluut gestoorde schoonheidsidealen vandaag de dag in modeland. Ik zag een online serie van oud modellen die hun ervaring van die periode uit hun leven delen. Een van de meiden werd op 'afval-kamp' gestuurd omdat ze te zwaar was. Een uitgebreide maaltijd van de meiden bestond uit een 3 stronkjes brocolli en een kipfiletje. Een normaal mens heeft echt veel meer voedsel nodig om te kunnen functioneren. Dat schoonheidsideaal is voor de meeste mensen gewoon natuurlijk gezien niet haalbaar zonder extreem veel te sporten en extreem weinig te eten. Er zijn natuurlijk altijd meiden die het in genen hebben om zo dun te zijn en dat is natuurlijk ook helemaal prima, maar iedereen heeft zijn eigen vormen en maten. There is no wrong way to be a women (or man)! 

Ik heb dus echt geen zin om constant te horen dat ik te dik ben want dat verdien ik niet. Ik weet dat ik kleine lovehandletjes heb en mijn heupen breeder zijn dan een paar jaar geleden. Nu heb ik ook al in geen tijden iets aan sport gedaan dus zou ik er mee akkoord gaan om te proberen iets strakker te worden. Love me the way I am. Als dat niet genoeg is, ben ik gelijk weer weg.

Ik heb er bewust voor gekozen om bikini foto's te plaatsen met dit verhaaltje. Ik ben blij met het lichaam dat ik heb en ik vind dat iedereen zo zich zou moeten voelen. Natuurlijk heeft iedereen wel dingen die ze graag anders zouden willen, maar zo is het leven gewoon. Niemand is perfect. Wees dankbaar voor je lichaam en zorg er goed voor. Je lichaam verdient meer dan een blaadje sla voor  lunch. Ik heb 2 armen en 2 benen en elke dag wordt ik wakker en werken ze. Ik kan denken, voelen, ademen, praten: dat is het belangrijkste. "Je lichaam is je tempel" heb je ze vast wel eens horen zeggen, ze hebben verdomme gelijk ook!


I want to go baaaaack!! It's raining here and all the snow is starting to get soft. If it doesn't stop soon it will be one big slush party outside. Over the last two weeks we got about 50 cm of snow so you can imagine, it will be a mess. 

Buuut, it didn't stop me from going out and making something of my day. I met up with a photographer for a longer session than last Tuesday since we weren't really done yet. I also wanted to shoot some digitals/polaroids in case any of this turns into something more profesional. Polaroids are pictures of models in their "pure" form with no makeup on and no crazy outfit. I was wearing black skinny jeans and a black top and eventhough you might think the pictures are boring: you're wrong! I love how they turned out! I always surprise myself! I will post them as soon as I get them send to me.

Okay, one little thing: I decided to take a careful chance on trying to find some modelling work. IEEEH, EXCITING. Something that I think I could really enjoy since I really love fashion! I know I'm not bad in pictures and I have a good/strong personality. I'm very confident about myself, but I know I might get sensitive for critisism if I get told the same thing over and over again. I want to prepare myself for that.

We have absolutely ridiculous beauty standards nowadays in the fashion industry. I saw an online series about Swedish ex-models talking about their time as a model. One of the girls got send to a weight loss-camp because she was too big according to her agency. A dinner for the girls would consist of a cooked chicken filet with three pieces of brocolli. A normal person really needs more food than that to function properly. The beauty standards for a lot of people just cannot be met biologically. Not without starving yourself and extreme working out. There are ofcourse always those girls that are skinny because they have the genes for it and that's fine too. But everyone has there own shape and size. There is no wrong way to be a women (or man)!

I really don't wanna be told I'm too fat constantly because I deserve better than that. I know that I have tiny "hams" on my hips and that they are wider than they were a few years ago. That's not too surprising because I haven't done any sports in a long while (and I'm older now!) so I would agree on getting fitter again. They should love me the way I am. If that is not enough, I'm out.

I chose to post these beach pictures together with this topic. I'm really happy with my body and I think that everyone should feel that way. Of course everyone has things they would like to be different, that is just how it is. Nobody is perfect. But your body is something to be grateful for and it deserves so much more than just a piece of lettuce for lunch. I have two arms and two legs and every morning when I wake up, they work. I can think, feel, breath, talk: and that is the most important thing. "Your body is your temple" you might have heard them say, well you're damn right it is!




Check out the first episode of the only series "The Swedish Model" by clicking on the video box.




At this very moment I received an email back from Ebba Zingmark, a model and blogger from Umea that started her carrier here. She hooked me up with some contact info from a local agency. Thank you Ebba! Now... Wish me luck! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Esmee! So jealous seeing these amazing pictures from Greece!
    I've been following your work as a photographer and I really enjoyed it and I am so proud to know that you are going to start modelling and the way that you have focused this complicated world. I am sure that you will be great, independently of the sizes, you have style and attitude, so I trully believe that you can shine. Looking foward to see the results. And please, don't stop writing, you are always an inspiration.

    Kisses from you ex-lab mate. Madrid is waiting to be your landscape for some beautilful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, my dear Jen! <3
    It's so nice to read your sweet comment! The fashion industry is a tough world.. I hope I can find the right people that will treat me (and others for that matter) with respect. Because that's how it should be right!? :p
    I hope Madrid is treating you well. I will keep you updated on the whole modelling thing!
    Kisses back from the cold Sweden <3 <3

    ReplyDelete